Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Community Foundation?
What is the Carbon County Community Foundation?
The County Community Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that serves as an umbrella for many distinct charitable funds, offering them each professional expertise, time, and cost savings, achieved through working together. While giving to our community today is an important part of what we do by distributing grants and facilitating donations, we also manage funds as endowments to provide stable income for the causes that matter most, for generations to come. So, there is a simple way for you to make a difference and legacy in our community.
How Can I Help/Get Involved?
- Give to a fund
- Volunteer, email email@example.com or call 1-855-545-1311
- Make the Founder’s Pledge ($25,000)
- Become a Board Member
Why Choose CCCF?
The community foundation is designed to exist in the community forever, by the community. It is a local and permanent resource for now and the future.
Working with CCCF also allows you to do the following,
- Help Build a Secure Asset for Carbon County
- Entrust your Gifts to Regional Experts
- Foster Collaboration
- Experience Greater Ease with Bigger Impact
- Give with less Overhead
What is an Endowment? Who can Benefit?
What are the Fees?
What are the different funds I can contribute to?
- Fund For Carbon County: discretionary fund, overseen by the CCCF Board of Directors, which gives grants on a competitive basis to the most deserving causes in our community.
- Carbon 20/20 Fund: The 20/20 Circle is an innovative and lasting way to invest in making Carbon County a better place to live. We call it the 20/20 Circle because it is designed to be without end and to create a civically-engaged network within our community.
- Carbon County Creative Arts Fund: he Carbon County Creative Arts Fund was established to support all manner of artistic pursuits for the benefit of the Carbon County region, to support nonprofit organizations, charitable programs and individuals pursuing the creative arts.
- Scholarships: Help students pursue academic goals.
- Field of Interest Fund: Create grants that meet needs in fields such as education, environment, the arts, health, or a geographic area that is of interest to you.
- Donor-Advised Fund: Enables you to recommend various charitable organizations and projects to receive grants while working closely with foundation staff.
- Designated Fund: Let you support specific organizations important to you– from international organizations to local nonprofits, the foundation makes certain that grants to these groups remain relevant over time and responsive to changing circumstances.
- Memorial Fund: Designed as temporary funds created to receive donations in lieu of flowers at the time of memorial service that can be distributed or endowed by the family at a later date.
Can I Give Anonymously?
What are the Minimum Contributions?
There is never any minimum for giving however we do recommend the following,
- Donors seeking to build endowment funds can start with any amount of money to begin to build their fund, however endowment will not take place until value reaches amount determined with advisement from the foundation. (Commonly we recommend $10,000)
- For scholarships we recommend starting with three years of the value of the scholarship in the fund.
- Unsupervised funds require a minimum of $500k. Find out more here.
- 20/20 Membership requires a $1000 contribution. Find out more here.
- CCCF staff is happy to assist you in deciding the appropriate contributions for your interests.
What Services does CCCF Provide?
CCCF can take care of all administrative, donation, and distribution activities, eliminating the need for you to set up a board, formulate policies, file tax forms, monitor the status of grant recipients and donations, and other things to keep you in compliance with the law.
How Can I Donate?
- Follow the “Donate Now” Link on any of the fund pages to make donations to one of our existing funds.
- For larger donations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-855-545-1311 to arrange your gift.
- Sometimes, a local nonprofit organization is the perfect solution. When a person or group’s giving goals are aligned with those of a specific charity, we will connect the two directly. Please email email@example.com or call 1-855-545-1311 to find out more.
After I Donate, Where Does my Money go?
CCCF has an agreement with The Luzerne Foundation for back office services including financial management. This arrangement allows us to draw on their 35+ years of experience while we grow.
2020 Fund FAQ
How Much is Membership?
A 2020 membership is $1,000. Payment may be pledged and split to accurate donors (i.e. $500/year for two years). Businesses or donors may pledge multiple memberships and delegate the votes to others in their company or family as they choose.
Who Will the Money Benefit?
Annually CCCF will convene the 2020 Giving Circle members to hear from three of the most promising charitable organizations in the region, selected through a competitive application process overseen by a committee of members of the Circle. A representative from each charity will be given the opportunity to present the proposed impact of their project and 2020 Circle members will cast their votes. The winning project will then be awarded funds to help them reach their goals.
What is it Called a Circle?
It’s called a circle because it is designed to be without end and create a civically-engaged network of local leaders.